Sunday, January 24, 2010

That Country of the Soul

I've been experiencing something lately that is elusive at best. It's a feeling, or maybe a process, rather. I've been thinking about it a lot, trying to put my finger on exactly what it is. I debated whether I'm searching for "me," but I don't really think that's a legitimate search. Searching for yourself is something else, and calling it that is sort of a misnomer.
What I've been doing, I believe, is searching for my center. I'm searching for what fulfills me and makes my soul vibrate with life. It's something that's truly difficult to find. I'm in love with my beautiful girlfriend, and that's something that surely excites me, and she does complete a part of me in many ways, but there's another aspect that's beyond that. It's that aspect of myself that exists, but I need to find it and hone in on it, focus on it.
It seems like this search is taking the shape of a search on how to define myself as a person. This sounds pretty heavy, but I suppose it is.
To steal from my favorite author, Albert Camus, I want to find "...that country of the soul where one's kinship with the world can be felt, where the throbbing of one's blood mixes with the violent pulsations of the afternoon sun."
All of these questions have become more pressing due to the fact that I must find a serious path to a career so I can finish my school work properly. That simple question has forced me to really look for my center, look for my essence, look for that country of the soul.

No comments: