Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Writerdom

What does it mean to be a writer? After a long bike ride to the house of a friend, we were sitting on the porch talking about what it meant to be a writer, a poet in particular. He boiled it down to the notion that writers are either interesting or fucked up, meaning something has transpired in their life that has caused them personality-altering trauma.

While I agree that a lot of writers aren't the most normal people, I think lumping the rest of the non-traumatized ones into one overflowing group is rather silly. Everyone is interesting to someone out there.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I'm struggling with what it means to be a writer. With attempting to write my first novel, the weight of "Authorship" is finding it's way onto my shoulders.
I'll sort it out one way or another.

Speaking of the first novel business, my writing is coming painfully slow. Molasses on a cold day slow. It's not that I have no time to write, it's that I find myself getting wrapped up into other things when I should be using that time for writing. I'll just have to make myself find the time, on top of a paper that I need to write this weekend.


On a lighter note, I've been listening to more Incubus recently. I haven't listened to them in a long while and I dusted off their album and gave it a listen. Amazing stuff.

No comments: