Wednesday, February 10, 2010

T.C. Boyle and Exploring the Sexual Mind

I've been reading a lot of books lately and I landed picking up a novel by an author I've never read on the recommendation by an old professor, a novel by T.C. Boyle. After the first 5 pages I was really absorbed in the novel.

Photobucket

The plot of the novel revolves around Professor Alfred Kinsey, the first person to publish legitimate research about the sexual behavior of the human animal. You can find an extremely short biography of the man here.

http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/about/kinseybio.html

The novel is so intriguing because it's about what might have happened. The protagonist is a young man by the name of John Milk. He works under Kinsey as he tries to collect as many interviews as possible, trying to discover the true nature of human sexuality.

As an author, Boyle is quite entertaining. It's hard to think of a better novel that I've read in the last couple of years. Boyle knows how to most effectively pace the story to peak the reader's interest without making the novel read like a movie.
I would highly recommend this novel to those who find the premise interesting and I'm definitely going to be reading more T.C. Boyle. Cheers.

No comments: