Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Decisive Review: Frog Morton on the Bayou

So after smoking nearly an entire tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou, I'm inclined to write up a more complete review for those who would like to know more about a tobacco before they shell out their hard-earned dollars not knowing for sure whether or not they'll like it.

I've gone over the tin aroma before, and so I'll just say that it's great. There's a strong woodsy aroma with an element of sweetness that balances out the strength of the Latakia. It packs nicely into the bowl. Upon first lighting it, I'm always very satisfied with the smokey taste. You're not going to get any overloaded with sugar taste anywhere here. Unlike aromatics, which I tend to enjoy more in small doses, this blend is best enjoyed in the biggest bowl you own. It smokes amazingly cool and sweet all the way down to the bottom, definitely my go-to tobacco if I'm in the mood for a long smoke.

Overall, this is easily one of my favorite tobaccos. I'll definitely buy some more from my local tobacconist if they can keep it in stock. I just wish my local tobacconist had internet prices; I'd much rather pay $11 for a 50 gram tin rather than the $16 I believe I payed in-store. I suppose with shipping it comes out to about the same, but still. I guess you end up paying for the ability to drive home with your tobacco in hand and pack a bowl right when you get in the door.

In other pipe-smoking news, I had a very pleasant experience at DW Cigars on Broadway in Santa Monica, CA. If you're ever in Santa Monica on 3rd St Promenade, walk down Broadway towards the beach and you'll run into this little cigar shop that carries an impressive quality of pipes and tobaccos. The thing I really liked about this shop was the customer service. The gentleman who helped me said something like, "you can either be a customer, which is fine, or you can be a client, which is something I prefer. I'd rather get to know you, so I know what you like." This attitude is rare at best. There are only a few places I've gone to where you are treated more like a person and potential friend rather than a being who is bringing capital into someone's business. I love finding this atmosphere.

I highly recommend pipe smokers to visit this shop although cigar smokers will find much more to enjoy there. They have an extremely well-stock cigar room. I'm no cigar smoker so I can't begin to describe anything about their selection but I can assure you, you'll get great service regardless of why you're visiting. Cheers to the helpful staff.

That's really all I have going on right now. Hopefully I can clean up my messy room today and get some reading done. Cheers.

No comments: