Saturday, January 17, 2009

some poker and some jesusing.

So one of my best friends, if not my best friend, was throwing this poker night, pot luck sort of deal. I was game until I got wind of the caliber of guests who would be the large majority of those in attendance. That would be the kindly boys and girls from his Bible study group. Peachy. I figured I would still go even though I might be bored to tears or be forced to listen to Jesus all night. As the evening waned into the night I postponed making my decision whether or not to get dressed and leave, all based on the people who were going to be there. As I stood in my doorway in my boxers, I realized I wasn't going to Dean's house to slap around bible verses and talk shit about Obama; I was going there to hang out with my best friend, so fuck the rest of them. So I went. There was some bible talk but I avoided it with a roll of the eyes and a suddenly vacant seat at the table. Regardless of how many atheist were theoretically at my house playing patty-cakes, I would want Dean to be there, regardless of his personal beliefs. He's one of the best people I've ever met and that has nothing to do with anything else. So fuck all the rest. Oh, and "The Catcher in the Rye" is getting better exponentially, and...I can't play poker to save my soul. Cheers.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm commenting!

I'm pretty sure that you are probably the best friend ever.